After branching out as a solo artist, Chris Stapleton set Nashville on fire with his debut studio album Traveller in 2015. The record took him straight to the top and the singer-songwriter won the 2015 Country Music Association Award for Best Male Vocalist, New Artist of the Year, and Album of the Year. He also won Best Country Album and Best Country Solo Performance at the 2016 Grammy Awards.
Learn more about the 38-year-old country phenom below!
1) Chris Stapleton can also count major pop stars Justin Timberlake, Adele, and Joss Stone among his fans. Adele even recorded Chris’ former band The SteelDrivers’ song “If It Hadn’t Been for Love” as a bonus track on her hit album 21.
2) His wife and talented muse Morgane had the words, “You Are My Sunshine,” secretly engraved inside his wedding ring. The pair often perform the beloved folk song together— enjoy a live performance below.
3) After relocating to Nashville, he signed a publishing deal just FOUR days!
4) Whiskey is a key element in many of Stapleton’s songs. For example, “Whiskey and You,” “Drinkin’ Dark Whiskey,” and “Guitars, Whiskey, Guns and Knives,” just to pinpoint a few.
5) Before music called him away, Stapleton used to work at Papa John’s Pizza.
6) When he first came to Nashville, Chris was a clean-cut kid. Check him out on the far right…
7) Before choosing music as a career, Stapleton studied engineering at Vanderbilt University. He dropped out after a year.
9) Earlier this year, he returned to Johnson Central High School in Kentucky where he performed live and donated $57,000 worth of musical instruments to his alma mater.
10) If he would have followed family tradition, he would have become a Kentucky coal miner.
Share this with other fans of the “Fire Away” crooner!