Kentucky-born country singer Dwight Yoakam began his career in 1977 and has continued to find immense success as both a musician and an actor. Earning two Grammy Awards and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Yoakam has reached a level of stardom that many only dream about. Expand your country music knowledge and enjoy this collection of ten Dwight Yoakam facts!
View this post on Instagram
Dwight was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame alongside Larry Gatlin, Marcus Hummon, Kostas Lazarides, Rivers Rutherford, and Sharon Vaughn for the class of 2019. What an incredible honor to be a part of a list with others who have inspired and moved the country music genre. - D Team #dwightyoakam #larrygatlin #marcushummon #kostaslazarides #riversrutherford #sharonvaughn #nashville #nashvillesongwritershalloffame
15 Dwight Yoakam Facts
1) During his school days, his best subject was history and his worst subject was math.
2) In his high school marching band, he played the drums.
3) He is a vegetarian and has also cut sugar out of his diet.
4) In May of 2008, he broke The Tonight Show record number of musical guest appearances. It was his 24th time on the show!
5) He created his own food line called “Dwight Yoakam’s Bakersfield Biscuit Brand.” In the video below, he briefly mentions one of his albums and then talks about his line of food products.
6) He is named after former President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
7) Gibson Guitars created a line of signature Dwight Yoakam acoustic guitars called the Y2K. Only a limited amount were manufactured.
8) His cover of Queen’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” was intended to just be in a TV commercial for Gap’s blue jeans, but it ended up being released as a single because of high demand.
9) His first #1 single was “Streets of Bakersfield,” a duet with country musician Buck Owens.
10) He bought his cowboy hat (that he wears almost all the time) in 1979 for under $50.
11) Many folks ask “Who is Dwight Yoakam’s wife?” The star has never been married and chooses to focus more on his career. Dwight Yoakam’s current girlfriend is Emily Joyce and they have been dating since 2013.
View this post on Instagram
Thanks again to Mike O’Neill, Jody Williams, and everyone at BMI for presenting me with the President’s Award. It’s been an honor to have BMI look after all of my songs for the past 35 years… Dwight #dwightyoakam #emilyjoyce #mikeoneill #jodywilliams #bmi #bmiawards
12) Dwight Yoakam has two siblings— brother Ronald Yoakam and sister Kimberly Yoakam.
13) He learned how to play guitar at just 6-years-old and often listened to his mother’s record collection.
14) Yoakam moved from Nashville to Los Angeles at the beginning of his career since Music City wasn’t interested in his updated honky tonk music.
15) The star dropped out of Ohio State University in order to start his music career.