As we all know by now, eastern Texas is currently being rocked by Hurricane Harvey. Since making landfall on Friday, the devastating system has already dropped more than 24 inches of rain, causing extreme flooding. Harvey has since been downgraded to a tropical storm, but it’s still packing a brutal punch with at least another 15 to 25 inches of rainfall expected over the next few days.
The Lone Star State is the birthplace of many country music stars and the subject of several beloved country tunes. Let’s enjoy some of the best songs about the state and review some real ways we all can pitch in and help its residents!
1) Marty Robbins “El Paso”
“El Paso” was a hit for Robbins and was inspired by his drive through the border town in the late 1950’s. The tune spans over four minutes long and tells a truly tragic story.
2) Gene Autry “Deep in the Heart of Texas”
The University of Texas Longhorns play this song before every game and we can totally understand why— it’s a classic.
3) Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson “Luckenbach, Texas”
Sometimes we can all settle for a slowdown and reconnect with the simple things in life.
4) George Strait “Amarillo By Morning”
The Texas spirit is unbreakable and willing to put in the effort.
5) Gene Autry “The Yellow Rose of Texas”
Gene is just one of the many artists to cover this famous tune. Enjoy his rendition above!
6) Alabama “If You’re Gonna Play In Texas”
Better not call it a violin…
7) Gary P. Nunn “What I Like About Texas”
What’s not to like about Texas? It’s 268,581 square miles of scenic beauty packed with friendly people!
Since many of us aren’t based in Texas, monetary donations are the easiest way to make a real impact. Below are some reputable charities currently on the ground in the region:
- American Red Cross (you can even text the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a quick $10 donation)
- Coalition for the Homeless
- Heart to Heart International
- Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies
- Team Rubicon
- Samaritan’s Purse
- Save the Children
- The Texas Diaper Bank
- SPCA of Texas
- Animal Defense League of Texas
Keep Texas in your thoughts and prayers! Share this with others looking for ways to help out!