Darius Rucker drops his fifth studio album, When Was the Last Time, on October 20th! The project features a major collaboration with Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and Lady Antebellum‘s Charles Kelley. The album has 12 songs on it, and it already landed a No. 1 hit on the Billboard Country Airplay chart in June with its lead single, “If I Told You.” The follow-up single, “For the First Time,” is currently sitting at No. 45 on the chart.
Rucker changed genres to country music after his previous time with soft rock group Hootie and the Blowfish. Now, he is a thriving country music star with his own unique sound. Many top songwriters worked on this album such as Ross Copperman, Dean Dillon, Shane McAnally, and more.
"Maybe somethin' new is what you're needin'…" strm.to/ForTheFirstTime
When Was the Last Time sports an 80’s throwback track with a cover of “Straight to Hell” by Drivin’ N’ Cryin’. Rucker brought in some of his chart-topping friends to help him out with the song. Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean and Charles Kelley contributed to the vocals alongside Rucker.
“‘Straight to Hell’ was huge in my day. When it was played in the bar, every single person in the bar was singing and hugging their best friend,” Rucker shared with Nash Country Daily. “I’ve wanted to cut that song since I came to Nashville, and I kept saying I was going to cut it someday. For this record, I was thinking about cutting it. Then Charles Kelley called me out of the blue and says, ‘Man, I was just listening to Drivin’ N’ Cryin’s “Straight to Hell” and I think you should cut it, and you should let me sing on it.’ I took that as the universe telling me it was time to cut the song, and I cut it. Jason [Aldean] and Luke [Bryan] and Charles and I are good buddies, so getting them to come sing on it made it something special.”
Check out the original version of “Straight to Hell” below!
Here is the full track list for Rucker’s new album and the songwriters that contributed to them.
When Was the Last Time Tracklist
- “For the First Time” (Darius Rucker, Derek George, Scooter Carusoe)
- “Bring It On” (Ross Copperman, Ashley Corley, Dallas Davidson)
- “Life’s Too Short” (Copperman, Jon Nite, Jaren Johnston)
- “If I Told You” (Copperman, Shane McAnally, Nite)
- “Don’t” (Adam Doleac, A.J. Babcock, Pete Good)
- “Twenty Something” (McAnally, Nite, Zach Crowell, Josh Osborne)
- “Straight to Hell” with Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Charles Kelley (Kevin Kinney)
- “Count the Beers” (Rucker, Dean Dillon, Josh Thompson)
- “Another Night With You” (Rucker, Dillon, Thompson)
- “Hands On Me” (Copperman, McAnally, J.T. Harding)
- “She” (Chris Thompkins, Rodney Clawson)
- “Story to Tell” (Copperman, Gorley, Rucker)
Share this update with other fans of this country music star!