Joe Diffie is a legendary Country music star who has been performing for over 20 years! He is going on tour beginning in March 2017, sharing all of his chart-topping hits in concert, such as “John Deere Green.”
His most recent single, “Girl Ridin’ Shotgun,” was released in 2013 and brings a different sound than his typical music. Check out the music video for his new tune and some other facts about Joe Diffie to learn a little more about him!
- He moved 5 times before finishing high school! Diffie was born in Duncan, Oklahoma in 1958 where he lived until first grade. After that, he moved to Texas, then Washington, then Wisconsin, and then finally back to Oklahoma to finish the rest of high school.
- He is a member of the Grand Ole Opry. Diffie became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1993. He was also inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. Adding to his accomplishments, he is a Grammy and American Country Music award-winner!
- He was very athletic throughout his high school years. Joe played four different sports during high school: football, baseball, golf, and track. He was even recognized as Best All-Around Male Athlete.
- He went to medical school. After Diffie graduated high school, he attended Cameron University in Lawton, Oklahoma. He intended to go to medical school and even earned three years worth of credits towards it. However, he dropped out when he got married and decided to pursue music instead.
- He is a talented songwriter, even writing for other famous Country stars. Joe Diffie is known for his excellent songwriting. He has previously written hit songs for Country stars including Hank Thompson, Tim McGraw, Jo Dee Messina, and Conway Twitty.
- He began his music career with a gospel group. Joe’s parents claim that he began singing at 3 years old. But when he became serious about singing, he started singing with a gospel group called Higher Purpose. He later switched to a bluegrass band called Special Edition before going solo for his career.
- Some of his early jobs (before his music career) were quite dirty. Diffie used to work in an oil field, driving trucks that pumped cement out of oil wells, and also worked in a metal factory. Luckily, he found a career in music where he wouldn’t have to get his hands dirty!
- He has married three times. In 1982, Diffie married Janise Parker while he was still in college. They had two children together, but divorced in 1986. Two years later, he married Debbie Jones and they also had two children. That marriage dissolved when Diffie became involved with other women. His third marriage was to Theresa Crump in 2000 and they had one child.
- He opened his own recording studio. Diffie gave musical tours and helped make recordings for gospel groups and local bands. Eventually, the studio had to close and Diffie declared bankruptcy.
- His first album was his most successful on the charts. Joe Diffie’s first album, A Thousand Winding Roads, was released in 1990 and produced four singles that landed in the Top Two! That’s a lot for one album. Those top songs were: “Home,” “If You Want Me To,” If the Devil Danced in Empty Pockets,” and “New Way to Light Up an Old Flame.”
Be sure to share these facts with other Country music fans!