Toby Keith Covel, 55— known professionally as Toby Keith— has released seventeen studio albums, two Christmas albums, and four compilation albums over the span of his successful country music career. The Oklahoma native has also charted sixty-one singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, including twenty No. 1 hits and twenty-one additional top 10 hits. Thus far, he has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide.
Enjoy these additional Toby Keith facts below!
1) In 2006, Toby Keith made his big acting debut, starring in the film Broken Bridges.
2) His longest-lasting No.1 hits are “Beer for My Horses” (the 2003 duet with Willie Nelson) and “As Good as I Once Was” (2005), at six weeks each.
3) Before his music career took off, he played defensive end with the semi-pro football club the Oklahoma City Drillers to make ends meet.
4) He gave himself an ultimatum— have a recording contract by the time he was 30-years-old or give up on music as a career for good.
5) In 2009, Keith participated in the Comedy Central Roast of comedian Larry the Cable Guy.
6) He holds the distinction of being the only musician to receive a five star rating from Stephen Colbert of The Colbert Report on iTunes.
7) In 2001, Toby Keith’s father was tragically killed in a traffic accident. His father’s sudden passing, combined with the September 11 terror attacks, prompted him to write the controversial anthem “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American).”
8) Toby Keith’s music video for “I’m Just Talking About Tonight” features football icon Terry Bradshaw. Spy him below…
9) Toby’s interest in music was sparked as a child when he visited Billie Garner’s Supper Club in Fort Smith, Arkansas, which his grandmother owned. During the summer, he did odd jobs around the supper club and sometimes played music with the band.
10) Villanova University gave the country star an honorary degree. Keith attended the institution from 1979 to 1980, he had orignally planned to become a petroleum engineer.
Share these tidbits with other fans of the colorful country artist!